Sweet Potatoes and Spicy Fried Egg
- 🧑🍳 Easy
- ⏱ Prep: 10mins
- 🥘 Cook: 20mins
- 🍴 Serves 2
If you’re craving yam and egg for breakfast and don’t have any yams at home, sweet potatoes or maris piper is a good alternative from your pantry. For the best start to the day, especially for busy days, I like having a carbohydrate to compliment my eggs.
Sweet Potatoes and Spicy Fried Egg Ingredients
Sweet Potato Ingredients
- 500ml water
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tubers of large sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced into 3.
Spicy Fried Egg Ingredients
- Sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5g of stock cube
- 7 stems of coriander
- 2 red lantern peppers
- 1 sliced medium onion
- 2 sliced medium tomatoes
Sweet Potatoes and Spicy Fried Egg Preparation
- Add your sweet potatoes to one pot and 500 ml of water. Boil under medium heat for 10 mins.
- Drain your potatoes after 10 mins and transfer into a roasting dish. Dress sweet potatoes with olive oil and fully cover. Transfer potatoes in the roasting dish into the oven and bake for 10 mins at 200˚C.
- Test your potatoes are ready by checking with a skewer or fork. It shouldn’t be hard and be mindful that it’s not too soft either.
- In a separate bowl, crack your eggs and add your coriander, salt and beef/ vegetable stock cube to it. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add olive oil to a pan and add the peppers, onion and tomatoes. Allow to fry for 5 mins. Add your egg mixture. Stir until you have created curds of egg and no liquid remains.
Serving: Serve immediately. Dish out 3 portions of sweet potatoes to 2 portions of egg. Sprinkle on your chopped coriander. My usual plate normally contains 2 portions of potatoes to one portion of egg. I would sprinkle on some grated black pepper, a slice of tomato to top it off ©
💡Fry your peppers for the egg for 10 mins under medium heat. Turn continuously to avoid burning. This would elevate the rich taste of the peppers after it’s been fried with the egg.
Leave a Reply